Sunday, June 1, 2008

Dare You To Move, Chapter 1

Chapter 1

There are moments in our lives when we find ourselves at a cross roads. The choices we make in those moments can define the rest of our days. Of course, when faced with the unknown, most of us prefer to turn around and go back to our safety net. For example, take my own brother, Trevor, who wanted to run back into his hole once he found out that he was traded to the Islanders. Now personally, I do not blame him but I told him to show who got the better of the trade and he did.

On November 10, 2001 he was traded back to the Vancouver Canucks from the Capitals and the fans of our team, the Canucks, were happy that the son of Vancouver was finally coming home. But my brother on that day taught me and the city of Vancouver that you can comeback and live out the dreams that you always wanted to do in your life. He showed me not to back down on my life when it got harder. Because if you do run away, you'll miss out on all the fun in your life.

I have been doing that since I was 14 and now at 23, I was living my dreams at doing what I love the most...designing clothes for the Canucks, writing articles, doing the websites and being a moral support if any of the Canucks needed it. It was hard on me as it was hard on many of the players. But I learned to deal with the hardest things in my life and so did the Canucks.

You know when players were not in the mood to talk and when they were. If they were in this self blaming mood to where they didn't even want to talk to anyone they cared about or friends they have been close to. Or they are just not theirselves from an injury or illness. You just did in my world because I've lived with three hockey playing brothers and learned their life styles.

But I am now dealing with every type of player and their personality traits. But now, I feel as though as I am now at that cross that my brother was when he was traded to the New York Islanders.

There are moments in our lives when we find ourselves at a crossroads. Afraid. Confused. Without a roadmap. The choices we make in those moments can define the rest of our days. Of course, when faced with the unknown, most of us prefer to turn around and go back. But once in a while people push on to something better. Something found just beyond the pain of going it alone. And just beyond the bravery and courage it takes to let someone in. Or to give someone a second chance. Something beyond the quiet persistence of a dream. Because it's only when you're tested, that you truly discover who you are. And it's only when you're tested, that you discover who you can be. The person you want to be does exist. Somewhere on the otherside of hard work and faith and belief... and beyond the heartache and fear of what lies ahead.

No comments: